Reel and Unscripted’s 85th Annual Academy Awards Picks
In case you hadn’t heard the Academy Awards aka The Oscars are right around the corner. 2012 was a pretty great year for movies. There were more than a few major blockbuster released and that is making this year’s Oscar race an interesting one to say the least. The Academy had their hands full in regards to the nominations and despite a few noticeable snubs the majority of their picks were as expected. It is the winners that will be the game changer. Because with so many great options you can’t really go wrong but there are those who have high hopes for specific candidates – including us! With that in mind we just couldn’t resist giving you our picks for this year’s major award winners.
Before we share our picks, in case you don’t remember who was nominated for what, click here to read our write-up on it. Then scroll down to read our picks.
I basically saw every major Oscar movie out there this year (for the first time ever thanks to this website!), except for The Master which isn’t up for Best Picture so I think I did pretty good! So based on my thoughts, this is how I would vote!
- Best Picture – Argo or Silver Linings Playbook… I really don’t care which one wins, I just want it to be one of those 2!
- Best Actor – Daniel Day-Lewis… Who doesn’t think he is gonna win for Lincoln? Seriously! First actor to 3 awards…
- Best Actress – Jennifer Lawrence… She is the hottest thing around and her performance was better than all the rest!
- Best Supporting Actor – This one is hard for me because the 4 guys I saw all gave an even performance, but I’d say Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained…
- Best Supporting Actress – Even though I want it to go to Helen Hunt for the Sessions, Anne Hathaway in Les Mis is a no brainer!
- Best Director – Ben Affleck… oh wait… damn Academy… with the choices I have left, I’d vote Ang Lee for turning the “unmakable” Life of Pi into a masterpiece.
- Best Original Screenplay – I actually will go and vote for the oddball here and pick Moonrise Kingdom, great little movie!
- Best Adapted Screenplay – Hard to vote because I didn’t know the source material, but can’t go wrong with Argo‘s story!
- Best Cinematography – It has to be Life of Pi, that movie was visually simulating as well as beautifully crafted!
- Best Song – Adele for Skyfall, duh!
- Best Foreign Film – Well seeing that Amour is nominated for Best Picture, it’s kinda obvious…
As far as sound mixing, editing, visual effects, costumes and several other categories go, I just don’t possess the knowledge of movie making to predict for those areas. Tune in on Feb 24th and see how much I guess right!!!
Like “him” I saw the majority of this year’s Oscar nominated films. I missed only The Master and Amour which I will be seeing when they hit Netflix. With that said I feel I have sufficient background on this to share my picks with you.
- Best Picture – Argo or Silver Linings Playbook… Like my husband I am torn between the two. I gave them both 9’s and enjoyed them equally but in different ways.
- Best Actor – Bradley Cooper… I know he isn’t likely to win but as an actor he has come a long way and his character is extremely complex and he performs amazingly.
- Best Actress – Jennifer Lawrence… Unlike my husband I’m not picking her for her hotness but instead for her crazy awesome performance for a truly unique character.
- Best Supporting Actor – Tommy Lee Jones…I think his performance in Lincoln was perfection. Without him I honestly don’t think I would have enjoyed the film as much.
- Best Supporting Actress – Anne Hathaway…If they don’t give her this award I think fans might riot!
- Best Director – Ang Lee… Life of Pi was astounding and beautiful and only an amazing director could pull that off flawlessly like he did.
- Best Original Screenplay – Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite for this award. It was so quirky and fun and just fresh.
- Best Adapted Screenplay – Lincoln is the clear winner in my book because to take the life of such a man and boil it down to a film with any success deserves more than a few props.
- Best Cinematography – I actually am going to pick Skyfall… I know I know not a great pick but it really was excellent and while Life of Pi is awesome that comes mostly from the special effects.
- Best Animated Feature – Brave… Disney usually has a leg up in this category and the beautiful and moving offering this year is no different.
- Best Song – Adele for Skyfall seems the obvious choice although I think the original song Suddenly from Les Miserables will take it.
- Best Foreign Film – Sadly I haven’t the foggiest in this category because I haven’t seen enough of those nominated (just Royal Affair) to make a pick but an educated guess would say Amour.